68. Sleep In A Cool, Dark Room – Sleep is optimized in a room that’s between 60-67F, and that’s as dark as possible. Artificial light suppresses the secretion of melatonin, the hormone that makes you tired. Creating the optimal sleep environment in your room can greatly increase the duration and quality of your sleep, which can help with weight loss.57
Studies reveal that foods made from refined white flour are the significant causes of visceral fat. Added sugar has a high content of fructose. Sweetened drinks such as fruit juices, sodas, and other soft drinks can increase the amount of belly fat. You should also avoid desserts, candy, and pastries because they contain a lot of sugar. In case you crave for sweets and other sugary food, replace them with more nutritious food like nuts, yogurt or fruits.
Belly fat is something that makes you look really bad and it is also very unhealthy. A sedentary lifestyle and wrong food choices are responsible for belly fat. However, not to worry, you can always do some core strengthening exercises to get the desired washboard abs. Here are some expert tips to show you the way to shed those extra pounds from your belly.
Fathi, Y., Faghih, S., Zibaeenezhad, M. J., & Tabatabaei, S. H. (2016, February). Kefir drink leads to a similar weight loss, compared with milk, in a dairy-rich non-energy-restricted diet in overweight or obese premenopausal women: A randomized controlled trial. European Journal of Nutrition, 55(1), 295–304. Retrieved from https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00394-015-0846-9
Hey Bruce – I’ve trained a lot of guys and meticulously tracked their body fat percentages and only one lost any muscle (he went very low carb and I don’t think he ate enough calories). If you are 25+ pounds overweight, tracking body fat percentage can be really tricky. It’s very hard to measure using body fat calipers, which is what I rely on (See: How to Measure Body Fat Percentage. What I’m getting at is you are at best guessing when it comes to your body fat percentage, so it’s entirely possible you are not losing muscle when you diet with exercise. At the end of the day, I wouldn’t worry about body fat percentage / body weight etc. too much. Focus on becoming a stronger and better athlete and everything falls into place. Maybe you create a strength goal of doing 10, or 15 pull ups. You will likely be pretty lean if you can do that. In the long run, changing your mindset from losing weight to becoming more flexible, stronger, and developing a deeper mind-body connection will allow you to achieve a higher fitness level and enjoy the process as opposed to just “working out to lose weight” which gets super boring and is unsustainable. See my article 25 Fitness Goals to Get in Awesome Shape. Hope that’s helpful!
95. Embrace Kaizen – Kaizen is a japanese concept that means constant improvement. Every day, strive to be better than you were yesterday. It’s not about being perfect, it’s about getting stronger, running faster, jumping higher, and moving more efficiently. This concept can also be applied to your diet. You don’t have to overhaul your lifestyle, but instead make small, maintainable changes over time.
50. Write Down Your Cravings – By writing down your food cravings, you can determine what’s going on in your life that makes you crave certain foods. Are you stressed? Angry? Write down your thoughts whenever you have cravings for a certain type of food or drink. What are you doing? Who are you with? What time is it? This can also help you identify and avoid the trigger foods that cause you to binge. For more tips, see How To Stop Food Cravings.
If you’ve got weight to lose and you want it gone fast, try swapping out your usual proteins in favor of fish. Not only is fish lower in calories than an equivalent amount of beef or chicken, a study published in Obesity reveals study subjects who added omega-3 fatty acids, like those found in fish, to their diets shed more weight and had an easier time keeping it off than those who skipped them.
People who are normal weight, or overweight and do not have any additional risk factors for heart disease, should focus on avoiding weight gain, rather than losing weight, the guidelines say, because there is no strong evidence that weight loss provides health benefits for these people. However, additional weight gain could lead to problems, experts said.
This will require you to improve your posture. But, do work on your posture as standing up taller can make you look 5 pounds slimmer. Stand in such a way that your pelvis is relaxed. You can also stand against a wall to check whether your posture is straight. Make sure that your back is pressed up against the wall with no more than an inch between the wall and your lower back. A wider gap means your pelvis is not straight.
80. Write Down 2 Goals – Make them SMART. That means they’re specific, measurable, achievable, results-focused, and time-bound goals. Setting SMART goals may make you more likely to achieve them.63 Create one performance goal and one body composition goal. Keep your goals somewhere visible so you’re reminded of them every day. For example, “Do 10 pull-ups in a row in 3 months” or “Lose 15lbs in 3 months.”
37. Avoid Extreme Low Calorie Diets – While it may be tempting to eat very few calories to lose weight fast, the strategy can backfire. Very low calorie diets (called semi-starvation diets) are associated with a decrease in metabolism. In fact, one study showed that women following a diet of 1200 calories per day lost more fat than women eating only 500 calories per day over a 24-week period.39 In addition, when eating very little food, you have a greater risk of nutrient deficiencies. If you want to learn more, check out Starvation Mode: Are You Eating Enough?
And for energy balance, it's the number of calories that matters. Weight loss on the Twinkie Diet proves this principle: Last year, Mark Haub at Kansas State University lost 27 pounds eating junk food. And this is pretty good proof of concept, says Yale University’s David Katz, MD, who has written extensively on the futility of the “is a calorie a calorie?” debate.
But the combination of the fact that I hate actually doing cardio (and hardly ever do anymore despite closing in on single digit body fat levels as we speak), rarely ever recommend it by default for fat loss or muscle growth, and think it’s by far the most overrated component of improving body composition in general… I’ve been finding it hard to actually start writing about it.
The question of how to lose stomach fat in a week cannot be overstated, sure some people may doubt it, but losing belly fat in a week is easily doable and has been done before. When the question of how to lose stomach fat fast is asked, it should be how many pounds, because losing belly in a week, could mean 2 pounds, 4 pounds, or even a pound of belly fat. Whether you're a woman looking for ways on how to burn belly fat, or a man looking for best way to lose belly fat for men, the goal is achievable if you follow the steps mentioned here in this video for steps on how to lose belly fat in one week.
Sleeping for more than five hours a night might seem like a luxury for some, but it can have a serious impact on your overall health. Not getting the recommended 7-8 hours of shut-eye a night puts you at risk for fatigue the next day, which means you’re more likely to crave and snack on high-calorie comfort food. Try to go to bed sooner so you can get a little more sleep, which will help you eat less. And to blast fat even faster, don’t miss these essential 55 Ways to Boost Your Metabolism.
Obviously, it’s still possible to lose weight on any diet – just eat fewer calories than you burn, right? The problem with this simplistic advice is that it ignores the elephant in the room: Hunger. Most people don’t like to “just eat less”, i.e. being hungry forever. That’s dieting for masochists. Sooner or later a normal person will give up and eat, hence the prevalence of “yo-yo dieting”.