So I just came across this after reading another article on this site. It was about how muscles burn fat. Anyways, I like what I read because that’s exactly how I’ve been doing. Simple and easy. No complicated theories. However, the one theory that always haunts me is the “starvation mode” theory. I’m sure you’ve come across it. So, is it true that if I create a huge calorie deficit, my body will simply go into starvation mode and and use what it needs and store the rest thinking it will “starve”? Please correct me if I’m wrong with regards to the theory. I could have got it wrong all this time lol.
61. Customize Your Meals – The unfortunate truth is that 8 out of 10 adults in the U.S. are overfat.55 If you want to be lean, consider customizing your own meals so you are not eating what everyone else is. Ask for salad on the side instead of fries, or sauce on the side instead of smothered on your entree. If you eat out often, this is a very powerful strategy that can be the difference between getting lean, or gaining fat.
"Feeling stressed can wreak havoc on our bodies. It can cause our body to produce the steroid hormone cortisol, which can make you crave sugary foods that provide instant energy and pleasure. Short-term bursts of cortisol are necessary to help us cope with immediate danger, but our body will also release this hormone if we’re feeling stressed or anxious. When our cortisol levels are high for a long amount of time, it can increase the amount of fat you hold in your belly."
Seriously: Your flab can help you shed pounds. How? Just as there's more than one kind of fat in food, there's more than one type in your body. White fat is the bad stuff you want to zap. But a second kind, brown fat, actually torches calories. "Up to 80 percent of adults have brown fat deposits in their bodies," says Aaron M. Cypess, MD, PhD, an assistant professor of medicine at the Joslin Diabetes Center and Harvard Medical School. This good fat is powerful because it's packed with mitochondria, the parts of cells that generate heat. When activated, as little as two ounces of brown fat can gobble up as much as 20 percent of your body's calories.
These diets and methods might never come right out and admit that or say you just need to eat less calories (partly because it doesn’t fit with their gimmick, partly because people don’t want to hear that they have to [GASP!] count calories or [GASP!] eat less of them, and partly because it’s hard to make money off of something that is simple, obvious and free.)
Another way to trim carbs and calories and lose weight fast is by making your sandwich open-faced. Opting for one slice of bread instead of two will save you 70-90 calories, and leaves you more room to pile it high with healthy toppings like lettuce, tomato, sprouts, and avocado. Still hungry? Pair your sandwich with a side of baby carrots or bell pepper strips. The water and fiber in the veggies will fill you up and help with your weight-loss efforts.
5. Eat protein with every meal – While nutritionists may argue about whether low carb diets are best, one thing is for certain – a high protein diet helps you lose weight faster.11 Foods and meals that are high in protein help fill you up without providing too many calories. While 1 gram of fat has 9 calories, 1 gram of protein and carbs has only 4. That’s not to say dietary fat is bad, it’s just that protein, especially lean protein sources, will help satisfy your hunger more.12 Find out how much protein you need to build muscle.
STARVATION V.S. DIETING*** . BELIEVE IT OR NOT, YOU lose LESS weight by not eating than you would if you ate! HOWEVER, you must follow some guidelines. FIRST, the not eating issue. The human body is a very smart machine. When you stop eating, your body goes into "starvation mode", not knowing when it will get food next. SO, your body slows down your metabolism, burning less calories and conserving energy. Your "fat burning furnace" goes into the survival mode, and burns off fat VERY SLOWLY (remember, your not giving your body food, so it must conserve as much as possible.) THEREFORE, the fastest way to lose weight is to eat often, like six times a day. HOWEVER, AND THIS IS A BIG HOWEVER, the meals must be very small and high quality, ie...no junk or fast food. GOOD calories, like protiens, complex carbohydrates (not simple sugars), fruits, vegetables, etc... AND, THIS IS A BIG AND, YOU MUST increase your exercise, and burn more calories. By eating small, healthful meals six times a day, your metabolism rate and "fat burning furnace" stay on "high speed", burning up calories and fat like crazy. Your TOTAL DAILY CALORIE INTAKE (ALL SIX MEALS) SHOULD ADD UP TO NO MORE THAN 2000 CALORIES. If you don't exercise like crazy, it should be even less calories. NOTE: EXERCISE LIKE CRAZY is not difficult. Incorporate exercise into every aspect of your day. EXAMPLES: EVERYONE goes to the store. When you park your car, park at the farthest parking space from the entrance. YOU DO NOT NEED TO SPEND $1000.00 FOR A HEALTH CLUB MEMBERSHIP, ONLY TO WALK ON A STAIRMASTER AND GO NOWHERE!!! Walk to the post office, walk to the store, walk, walk, walk!!! If you live in the country, walk the roads. If you desire safety, go MALL WALKING. WHEN you walk, don't just plug along; walk quickly and steadily. You can even walk up and down your porch stairs repeatedly (if you have stairs). If you really want to lose weight, stick to these suggestions and you can lose as much weight as you want! THERE IS NO EASY WAY, MAGIC PILL, DIET DRINK OR ANY OTHER CRAP THAT MAKES YOU DROP WEIGHT.! GOOD LUCK TO YOU!
34. Purge Your Cupboards – Throw out all of the processed, sugar-filled junk food so you aren’t tempted by it, especially these 7 most addictive unhealthy foods. If it’s not convenient, you’re much less likely to eat it. Instead, keep fruits and vegetables visible and readily available.37 This small change is associated with increased fruit and vegetable consumption, which could make all the difference in your weight loss efforts.38
Generally, people who take weight loss drugs — which often work by decreasing appetite and increasing feelings of satiety — can lose an average of 5 to 10 percent of their body weight in a year, according to the Mayo Clinic. However, these drugs still need to be used along with diet and exercise for people to achieve this level of weight loss. (Studies of these drugs involve people who have also made changes to their diet and activity level.)
Cortisone as an oral drug is another common culprit (e.g. Prednisolone). Cortisone often causes weight gain in the long run, especially at higher doses (e.g. more than 5 mg Prednisolone per day). Unfortunately, cortisone is often an essential medication for those who are prescribed it, but the dose should be adjusted frequently so you don’t take more than you need. Asthma inhalers and other local cortisone treatments, like creams or nose sprays, hardly affect weight.
68. Sleep In A Cool, Dark Room – Sleep is optimized in a room that’s between 60-67F, and that’s as dark as possible. Artificial light suppresses the secretion of melatonin, the hormone that makes you tired. Creating the optimal sleep environment in your room can greatly increase the duration and quality of your sleep, which can help with weight loss.57
44. Make Your Comfort Foods Healthier – There are so many creative ways to make your favorite comfort foods healthier. Do a little research to find healthy and delicious substitutes for your favorite comfort foods and desserts. Everyone has non-negotiables, or things they are unwilling to give up no matter what. See if you can find a healthy alternative. Here are some recipes you can try: French fries, Frozen grapes, Frozen Banana Ice Cream, & Pizza.
60. Order Steamed, Not Sauteed – “Steamed” means that a food was cooked using the steam from boiling water, and it’s a cooking method that preserves more of the beneficial vitamins and nutrients than many other cooking methods.54 “Sauteeing” refers to cooking foods in some fat over high heat. Many restaurants use loads of fat like butter and other calorie-dense cooking oils for sauteed dishes. So steam your veggies to get the most nutritional bang from your broccoli with minimal calories.
A safe and realistic amount is 4-8 pounds a month, which equates to 1-2 pounds a week. If you have a bit of extra fat, then its fair to say that more is fine. As long as you are not driving your body into the ground by hardly eating and exercising yourself till you black out, you should be fine with what you can lose. But again, 4-8 pounds is safe and reasonable.
I am sure you must have read a lot about whole eggs but it is advisable to go for egg whites only because you’re trying to lose weight. Egg yolk contains loads of fats and for weight loss it is advisable to avoid as much fat as possible. As plenty of people consider having egg in his/her daily routine diet, so you still have the option of having egg but egg white only. You can have 2–3 egg whites in your daily breakfast. You get good amount of protein by consuming egg white, around 11 grams of protein in each boiled egg white. A diet enriched with protein is considered effective when trying to lose weight.
Nutrition expert and mom Holley Grainger, R.D, recommends adding plant-based proteins like beans and lentils to your meals and snacks for a boost of satiating fiber. She also suggests upping your fiber game by topping salads with white beans, combining lentils with lean ground beef when making spaghetti sauce or tacos, or baking chickpeas for a crispy snack.
To make sure you don't lose too much, it's important to figure out your goal weight. Since everyone's body is different, your exact goal weight will differ depending on your height, age, activity level, and body type and should best be decided between you and your doctor or other healthcare provider. In general, Jim said your ideal bodyweight can be calculated by your height. For men, it's 106 pounds plus six pounds for every inch over five feet, e.g., if a man is five-foot-eight, his goal weight should be 154 pounds. For women, it's 100 pounds plus five pounds for every inch over five feet, e.g., if a woman is five-foot-four, the ideal weight is 120 pounds.
Bread isn’t exactly diet-friendly. Refined grains in white bread makes you pack on more kilos. But if you switch to the right kind of bread, it may actually help you lose weight. Sprouted bread contains inulin content which is a fibre that has been linked to multiple health benefits. A study published in Nutrition & Metabolism revealed that pre-diabetic study subjects who included inulin in their diet cut down more belly fat as opposed to those who didn’t.
Under stress, we tend to scarf down even healthy food. In fact, research has linked this behavior to bigger portions and more belly fat. But Elissa Epel, PhD, a researcher on stress eating at the University of California, San Francisco, hypothesizes that slowing down, savoring each bite, and paying attention to feelings of fullness may lower cortisol levels along with decreasing the amount of food you eat, thereby shifting the distribution of fat away from the belly.
The trick to keeping your appetite in check is avoiding foods that make you lose control. That's tough to do when you're surrounded by mouthwatering choices everywhere you go, but Stice says that a technique called mindful resistance can help. "If you're tempted to have a scone with your coffee at Starbucks, instead of thinking about how delicious it will taste, tell yourself you'll get health benefits such as a smaller waist or a healthier heart from not having it," he says. "Doing this actually changes your brain by strengthening the area that helps you resist things and weakening the region that makes you think of treats as a reward."
The sad truth is that conventional ideas – eat less, run more – do not work long term. Counting calories, exercising for hours every day and trying to ignore your hunger? That’s needless suffering and it wastes your time and precious willpower. It’s weight loss for masochists. Eventually almost everyone gives up. That’s why we have an obesity epidemic. Fortunately there’s a better way.